Today's Verse

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The Fountains of the Deep

Ancient Geyser
The kids and I had the wonderful privilege of taking a couple of lengthy trips with my mom this summer. One trip we took was out west. One stop we made was Yellowstone National Park. It was amazing! We got to see animals (a bison and her calf walked by our car for a little bit), the sights, and the kids did the Junior Ranger program (I highly recommend this program at the national parks). The sight that stayed with me from Yellowstone though is the one pictured above.
I want you to note the people and then compare that to the size of the crater. The sign said this crater was an ancient geyser. I learned a lot about geysers while I was there. We did get to see Old Faithful erupt. Now, in brief, a geyser is a hole in the ground above a chamber where fallen rain water is being heated up by lava in the earth's crust. The silica in the water kind of plugs the water up underground. Soon the pressure builds up enough that the water can no longer stay below the ground. As the water breaches the surface, steam is shot high into the air.

Now, think with me about this ancient geyser pictured here. Now it is a hot spring. It's in the Upper Geyser Basin in Yellowstone. Consider with me Genesis 7:11, "In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, in the second month, the seventeenth day of the month, the same day were all the fountains of the great deep broken up, and the windows of heaven were opened." The fountains of the deep were broken up. Can you imagine water this powerful, shooting out of the ground to create this kind of hole? Can you imagine the chaos going on in Noah's time as not just a simple rain begins to fall, but the windows of heaven are opened and the fountains in the earth are broken up? I stood stunned by the grace of God on Noah and I viewed, what I think are, the remnants of the destruction of God's perfect creation. Noah built the ark. He did all that God told him to do (Genesis 7:5). But Noah survived because of the direct intervention of God on his behalf. He could have built the ark on one of these geysers. He could have had a tsunami that picked up his boat and crashed it into a mountain.
Creation was in chaos, yet God chose to put Noah in a place where he was kept safe.

Think about your life now. Some days chaos may reign around you. Sometimes you may endure specific attacks that hurt, and you don't know how you're going to survive it. Yet, if you are a child of God, He has you in a place where His grace will sustain you and keep you safe. John 10:27-29 states, "My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand." Cheer up, my sister! God is working in your life and sustaining you by His grace!

No comments:

Post a Comment